Year of Establishment: 1959
The department of Economics was started in the academic session 1958-59, when the college authority appointed Mrs. S P Jain from outside Assam as a teacher of economics. From 1960-61 academic years major classes were started. Since then many teachers were appointed and some of them are now retired. Among these retired teachers, late P R Neog, Mr. C K Gogoi, Mr. K. Saikia and Mr. B. Saikia contributed a lot to the department.